You Are Here:
Sileby History
Sileby Historical
Sileby Plotted History
Sileby From 1000 To 2000
Murder In Sileby
Murder In Sileby Story
Demolition Of 38 King Street
Sileby Census 1861
Sileby Census 1861 Page One
Sileby Census 1861 Page Two

Sileby Census 1861 Page Three
Sileby Census 1861 Page Four
Sileby Census 1861 Page Five
Sileby Census 1861 Page Six
Sileby Census 1861 Page Seven
Sileby Census 1881
Sileby Census 1881 Page One
Sileby Census 1881 Page Two
Sileby Census 1881 Page Three
Sileby Census 1881 Page Four
Sileby Census 1881 Page Five
Sileby Census 1891
Sileby Census 1891 Page One
Sileby Census 1891 Page Two
Sileby Census 1891 Page Three
Sileby Census 1891 Page Four
Sileby Census 1891 Page Five
Sileby Census 1891 Page Six
Sileby Census 1891 Page Seven
Sileby Census 1901
Sileby Census 1901 Page One
Sileby Census 1901 Page Two
Sileby Census 1901 Page Three
Sileby Census 1901 Page Four
Sileby Census 1901 Page Five
Sileby Census 1901 Page Six
Sileby Census 1901 Page Seven
Sileby Census 1901 Page Eight
Sileby Census 1901 Page Nine
Sileby Census 1901 Page Ten
Sileby Census 1901 Page Eleven
Sileby Census 1901 Page Twelve
Sileby Census 1901 Page Thirteen
Sileby Census 1901 Page Fourteen


image 3 image 2 image1

The building was L-shaped, 3 storeys high, and the older part of the building forming the foot of the 'L'.
This had a frontage of 915cm. to King Street and faced north, it stood on a plinth of irregular graniteblocks, with odd pieces of Barrow limestone inter-mingled with them, standing 3 feet high and 18" thick,(i.e.g1.5 cm high, 45.7 cm. thick).

The plinth may have been retained from an earlier building on this site. The west side gable-end had a granite and limestone wall up to the first- floor level. The street facade consisted of the afore-mentioned plinth, above which there were two storeys built with red bricks with a blue brick diaper pattern, and a projecting red brick hood to all the windows and doorway, these were connected with a projecting red brick string course, the bricks measured 235mm long x 118mm wide x 50mm thick.

The third storey was built at a later stage with modern sized bricks, (229mm x 11gmm x 76mm) presumably for the purpose of housing a knitting frame; this is suggested by the arrangement of the windows to allow the maximum light to enter the rooms. Such extensions were common in the turn of the 18th-19th century, in the villages of the Soar valley.

On the ground floor there were two rooms, the first measured 366cm x 412cm, and the second 457cm x 414cm which also had a brick fireplace built of the smaller-sized bricks. Each room had a ceiling beam running centrally, and parallel to the frontage, in section 229mm.wide, and 268mm.deep, with joists running at right-angles, in section 90 mm. x 90 mm. and at 407mm. centres.

The floor in the smaller room was of herring-bone pattern brickwork, brick size 235mm. x 115mm, in the larger room the floor was of concrete. The second storey rooms were of similar sizes, whilst the third storey had an uneven concrete floor, with a fretted door dividing the two rooms.

The line of a previous steeper roof pitch was clearly


Contact The Team
Site Best Viewed In 1152 by 864 ©